"I have no motivation...."
One of the most common things I hear as a coach is, "I have no motivation." So let's talk about that. What happens when you have no motivation? For most people, it results in lack of activity and staying where you are. And the more you stay where you are, the more you convince yourself you are never going to be able to do or accomplish anything. So you don't do anything and your lack of motivation becomes your truth.
I personally think most people have a good deal of motivation, it's just buried beneath a lot of chaos and clutter. So how do you dig it out?
One of the easiest ways is to ask yourself, "What is ONE thing I can do to get moving? One simple step. It doesn't have to be anything major. Just get into action. Action leads to movement, movement leads to momentum, and momentum will carry you to your goal. So just get into action. Here are some simple suggestions:
- Make a phone call. If you've been putting off doing something or calling someone, do it now.
- Get more information. Oftentimes we stay stuck because we don't have enough information to make a decision. So get the information you need.
- Make a decision. As Yoda would say, "Do or do not!" Just make a decision and go with it, you can always make course corrections as you go along.
- Just do it already. Been thinking about starting something but you're waiting for just the right time? Just pick a day, a time, and start.
- Sign up for the course. Always wanted to learn a new skill? Then quit putting it off and get yourself enrolled.
- Call for help. Don't know how to fix that leaky faucet? Call someone who does. Need advice? Call someone who might know the answer or who can refer you to someone who does.
- Meet someone for coffee. There's something magical about meeting someone for coffee that always gets new ideas and energy flowing.
So if lack of motivation is stopping you, then it's time to get into action. Just do ONE thing right now. What is the ONE thing you can do to create some movement?